Stig's Soap Box
This is my personal website. There are many like it, but this one is mine. Sometimes I blog because I have something to say, sometimes it's just to practice writing. It used to be that most articles were tech related, but I think that ship has sailed now. Anything goes really.
Below is a full list of articles, in reverse chronological order. I also maintain a separate concept index.
- Potter Coding Dojo in Clojure
- Detailing my trials and tribulations with the "Potter" coding dojo problem, with code examples in Clojure.
- N Queens in Clojure
- Solving the problem of putting N Queens on an N by N chess board without them being able to threaten eachother.
- Electoral Reform Now!
- I try to show how unjust the First Past the Post system used to elect MPs in UK General Elections is.
- Blogging with Org Mode
- I describe how—and why—I changed from blogging using Markdown & Jekyll to using Org mode.
- Open Letter to Anne Marie MP
- I ask how the Conservatives can say they are "working for everyone" whilst giving extra tax breaks and benefits to the 15% of top earners, and at the same time cutting benefits for the poor.
- Hydra Theme Switcher For Emacs
- I learnt how to quickly switch between all installed themes in Emacs.
- How I Blog (This Week)
- I share my Emacs & Org-mode setup for blogging with Jekyll.
- Berwick Academy STEM Talk
- I went to a local school and talked to prospective computer science students there about my education and career. This is a transcript of my talk, which was organised by STEMNET.
- Breakdown of my Tweetable FizzBuzz created using sed and xargs.
- Change Terminal background colour on OS X via ssh
- I show how to change Terminal.app colours automatically when logging into certain remote machines via SSH.
- Setting up Leafnode NNTP server on OS X
- I set up the Leafnode NNTP server on OS X, for use with Emacs and the Gnus newsreader.
- Overcoming RSI
- Early 2005 I encountered a bad bout of RSI. Prompted by a comment on the Lobsters forum, I thought I'd share my experience.
- ModSecurity and Puppet Spelunking
- In which I investigate how to
SecAuditLogPartsfor ModSecurity with Puppet, and find I have to contribute a patch to make it possible.
- Consolidating and de-duplicating iPhoto libraries
- Spray Routing Error Handling
- Scala, Slick & PostgreSQL Unit Tests
- Re-designing for readers
- Using ScalaTest with Akka
- Injecting Akka's TestProbe in place of child actors
- Dairy-free bread and "butter" pudding
- Backing Up Photos Online
- What now for SBJson?
- Real custom rank keys
- Abandon all hope
- Bad Typesetting
- Playing at the Edge of AI
- Generating Bar Charts with SQL
- A lesson in testing
- Internet on the South Pole
- Rise of the Machine
- In-sewer Ants
- Regular Expressions
- Moving in
- Moving-in Party
- What I want for my Birthday
- Perpetual mid-season
- Target Reached!
- Money Transfer